Portfolio 2 - Week 3

The big guy is at a state of "Mostly Remeshed". Very happy I got the sword, the crown and the letter out of the way. No regrets there. Now all I need to do is finish up with the cape, gloves, the jaw, and the skull because the owl is actually one subdivision away from being just fine.

I'm going to try and tackle the skull first because I can pretty much guarantee it's going to take the most time. The jaw comes next, then the gloves as I've become pretty comfortable re-meshing hands by this point. If all goes according to plan it'll leave me Friday thru Sunday to texture him out, decide if the planes are going to be enough for his beard and make a presentable platform to stand him on.

If I try and do something complicated again this semester, somebody slap me. Then tell me to do a prop.

Anyways, let's touch on our one-minute problem of the week:

The Coccyx Debacle - act 1 (of 2)
Small bone.
Big problem. 
Moderate problem.
Vaguely distressing
Probably fixed. Tune in next week to find out how my solution ruins the project. Maybe.





As you can see here, I didn't really model the coccyx, and I only realized this week that I was going to have to figure out how much of the coccyx people were going to see. I couldn't very well hide it in his pants because that wouldn't make any sense. It would look like a bunched up blob if I left it and I couldn't very well stick a pair of skivvies on it because it's not in the concept. Last time I had an issue like this, I fixed it by modeling out a shoulder blade.

It was then I realized I would have to model a coccyx.
BOOM. Lovely.


In addition to the coccyx I've planned out some planes for the goatee. I'm expecting I'll have to do a combination of a sculpted shape in addition to the planes to get the right effect, but for now we'll leave it as is.



The hands and the skull are left.Arrow feathers are going to be planes since they're more or less just flat colors.



Here's a back view with the shoulder-blade. It'll be mostly covered by the cloak hence the simplicity, but without it you get a pretty clear shot to the inside of the pauldron. since his limbs aren't actually attached at the shoulders in the concept art (and since the bones on the upper arm aren't actually arm bones) I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that he holds his bones together through sheer force of piss and vinegar- even if he does present as the stoic type.



Fun Fact: I hollowed out his head. This means he can now store things like letters, small owls, and various other trinkets. It also means that future me has to remesh the inside of his head. That's okay though, I never like that guy anyways.

Comments

Popular Posts