Portfolio 3 - Midway Point

This is one of those projects that can somehow make me feel as though i've greatly improved, yet still remind me that i'm green as a pasture of cows with food poisoning.

The back of the head is wrong. I think it's a full back instead of just the wings over where the ears would be if someone were wearing the mask. I didn't realize it until I stopped modeling to make dinner. Unfortunately my epiphany over microwave potatoes came too late to rectify the situation tonight.

I'm starting to think I should do what fromsoft modelers do and scribble out a model like i'm sketching on a really cool notebook covered in dirt.

Actually I bet there's a couple statues I can reference like this one in dark souls. Regardless, I like most of this sculpt, but it needs a lookover before I move on to remesh.



I should really start writing in these blog posts again. It's fun to go back and see what state I was in over the past few semesters. Feels like a lifetime ago, especially after VR and capstone. Not sure what to make of that, good or bad. Oh, by the way it's 2 am-- so if you've gotten to this point in the blog post and think you're getting more information on this particular project then be warned. It's train of thought time and I could derail at any moment into the tangent ravine.



Lookit that hand. Jeez, that was a fun time to sculpt. I mean that too. I've been wanting to model a female character since I made that knight girl over spring break and this project seemed like a good compromise. If I come back and read this without posting that knight girl sculpt on artstation, then go do that right now. It's a good sculpt, the hair is adorable, just do it.



Kinda creepy looking at it up front like this. Better plunk out the eye holes asap. About that: something I noted pretty quickly in was that I had to think about this sculpt as something that would go over someone's face, not as a face itself. I dunno if that's odd to other people but it strikes me as a peculiar development.



Trailing back to the subject of blog posts, I think I've pinpointed the period that I started weaning off actually writing: the walker cannon. More specifically, the first material pass on the gun barrel. I remember putting myself under a lot of pressure for that project. I dunno, I think it was worth it, and Jackson was also doing an over-complicated cannon so both of the morons in the cubicle had someone to talk to when everybody else went home for the night.



Hey if the unlikely event occurs in which you're not me and you're still reading this (I don't know if you read these Nick but if you do then just know that i'm about to re-drop some knowledge you mentioned around semester 1), here's a free advice rehash, or maybe just a reminder: make a model library from your old projects. Keep all that simple stuff you make so you can just re-use it later.

I've got a box I use in ZBrush sometimes because it's got better topology than the zbrush primitive. Just a box, but its super handy if I want to throw something together with ZModeler, and sometimes it's faster than creasing all the edges and remeshing.

Comments

Popular Posts